(A61) Appointed Person - Lifting Operations for Experienced Worker
Duration: 2 days
Pre-requisites: Candidates must have successfully passed the CSCS Health, Safety & Environmental touchscreen test for Managers within the past 2 years.
The CPCS A61 course aims to provide the candidate with a thorough practical and theory training in the role of an Appointed Person in order to enable the candidate to pass the CPCS theory and practical tests.
Through a combination of targeted training and experience, an Appointed Person will be able to:
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of: an Appointed Person, a crane supervisor, a crane operator, a slinger, a signaller, a crane erector, and maintenance personnel.
- State basic requirement of legislation, regulations and codes of practice that relate to all types of lifting duties.
- Identify the requirements for basic, standard and complex lifts.
- State requirements to be followed when planning the lifting of persons.
- Explain additional requirements for loads to be lifted from height.
- Describe notification, liaising and reporting procedures to statutory, authority, and utility bodies when affected by the lifting operation, i.e. works, railways, highways, airfields, etc.
- Identify different types of cranes, and explain their capabilities and limitations for given lifting operations.
- Explain maintenance, inspection, thorough examination and testing requirements for lifting equipment and accessories.
- Describe setting up, erection, levelling and dismantling requirements for different types of lifting equipment and lifts.
- Calculate lifting equipment point loadings/outriggers loadings, spreader mat types and sizes from given information.
- Explain the function and use of, and use information provided by, RCIs and anti-collision systems.
- Select the correct crane for specific specified lifts and utilise accessories Including: swing ways, stingers, powered boom extensions etc. extra ballast plus duties chart, range diagrams and specification sheets.
- List different types of lifting accessories and explain typical applications.
- Identify and explain relevant information relating to different types of lifting accessories i.e. markings, certificates and thorough examination reports, etc.
- Calculate sling size and angles.
- Explain slinging techniques for given loads including balanced, unbalanced and loose.
- Specify appropriate lifting accessories for given types of loads.
- Identify weights and centres of gravity for different types of loads.
- Position and configure the vehicle and loader crane for lifting duties.
- Deploy the stabilizers for specification.
- Explain action for hazards, underground and overhead services.
- Program/set-up and/or comply with Rated Capacity Indicators or Load Moment indicators for lifting duties.
- Lift various loads using the full radius and slewing capabilities of the loader crane.
- Place loads accurately at designated positions including on/into and from the vehicle.
- Explain the use of, types and fitting of boom extensions.
- Minimize the swinging loads.
- Secure the loads on or in the vehicle.
- Explain different types of lifting accessories compatible with loader crane use.
- Maintain safe working situations.
- Carry out shut down securing procedures.